Spinach Artichoke Dip
Makes enough for 2-3 people
1½ tbsps vegan butter, we use Earth Balance
2 tblsps all-purpose flour
1 cup non-dairy milk, we use soy
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
dash ground nutmeg
dash hot pepper sauce
1 can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, diced
½ package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1½ cloves garlic, minced
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt vegan butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Whisk in flour; cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
3. Slowly whisk in nondairy milk. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and hot-pepper sauce. Cook until mixture is very thick.
4. Remove heat, let cool, stirring occasionally.
5. Add diced artichokes, minced garlic, and thawed spinach into cooled nondairy milk mixture.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Optional: If you are serving this and want it to look extra nice, take out of oven 3-5 minutes early, place in desired oven safe dish, and heat for the remaining time.
I love this recipe! I am almost as obsessed with artichokes as I am with avocado, and this dip really does them justice. It is so clean and fresh tasting. I could eat it with a spoon right out of the pan, it’s so addictive! I warn you, it is so hard to stop eating this. What I love most is that you can really use it for anything, a spread on a wrap, a dip for chips or pita bread, anything!
I can’t even put into words how much I love this recipe. It is super easy to make, and is just absolutely delicious. I’m not ashamed to say that, more than once, I have made this and eaten the whole thing in one sitting. For a party, this recipe can be doubled, or even tripled – but be sure to put some aside for yourself because it goes fast. Seriously, there have been times where I haven’t even gotten it into a serving dish before it’s gone.
As someone who is not vegan or vegetarian I was skeptical to try a dip without the use or dairy, but this spinach dip has become one of my favourite foods for snacking. It turned me on to vegan food altogether.